How to Delete Stocks & Other Apple Apps in iOS 10
Which pre-installed Apple apps can I delete from my iPhone and iPad?
- Contacts (iPhone only, contact information is retained in the Phone app)
- Find My Friends
- iCloud Drive
- iTunes Store
- Music (if removed, you won’t be able to use it with CarPlay)
- Voice Memos
- Watch app (you’ll have to unpair your Apple Watch before deleting it)
How to delete a pre-installed Apple app
Deleting a pre-installed Apple app is as easy as removing any other app on your home screen. Here’s how.
- Open a folder or locate an Apple app you want to delete.
- Push down lightly on the app icon until it starts to dance.
- Tap the small x icon that appears on the top left.
- Tap Remove.
After removing the app, its icon will disappear from the folder or home screen.
One note on removing pre-installed apps: Don’t do this if you need to free up some storage space on your iPhone or iPad. Because stock apps are part of the system bundle — some of them are deeply integrated with Siri, in fact — when you delete them, they aren’t actuallyremoved — they’re just being hidden from the home screen. (It’s very similar to the toggle for Apple’s iCloud Drive app in iOS 9.)
How to re-install a hidden Apple app
- Launch the App Store from your Home screen.
- Tap the Search tab on the lower portion of screen.
- Enter the name of the app into the search bar. If that doesn’t work, you can also search for Apple, then select the developer’s page to see a list of all pre-installed apps.
- Tap Search in the bottom right corner.
- Tap the download button next to the result from Apple. It looks like a cloud with a downward arrow inside it.
That’s it! Right now, it’s a bit difficult to find Apple’s first-party apps through search, but that should get easier after iOS 10 has been released to the public. In the meantime, searching for a well-known Apple app like the Apple Store app and getting the company’s listings through there is the easiest way.